Most of the time, when accessing my Google calendar through Thunderbird I was using lightning and the Provider for Google Calendar. This sets up an iCal connection, and when I edited the config to make the Google Calendar the default, it never worked. So, I have moved to a new method, setting up the calendar using a CalDAV connection and then modifying the config to make this calendar default.
I followed the information in this post to setup the CalDAV connection.
- Open your Calendar pane and select New Calendar from the menu on the left.
- Choose On the Network
- Select CalDAV from the options and for the location enter https://www.google.com/calendar/dav[Your Google Calendar ID]/events
- If you are using your standard calendar, Your Google Calendar ID is your email address.
- Since I am using a specific calenader, I had to enter the Calendar ID found on the Calender Settings page, it will be [long string of number]@group.calendar.google.com
- Click Next and complete the wizard.
Google Calendar as DefaultTo set the newly created calendar as default takes a bit of under the hood configuration of Thunderbird.
- Open Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor
- Search for calendar.registry
- You will be present with a list of items that show you all your calendars. The one thing to pay attention to is the number in each string. The values all relate to the same calendar.
- Find the string associated with your current primary calendar and look for a value calendar.registry.[srting of numbers].calendar-main-default
- Toggle this value to False
- Find the string associated with the calendar you want to make your default.
- There should be a string calendar.registry.[string of numbers].calendar-main-in-composite, right click on this and select Copy Name
- Right click again and select New -> Boolean
- In the preference pane, past the copied string and then modify it to say calendar.registry.[srting of numbers].calendar-main-default and click OK
- When prompted for the value, set it to True
- Restart Thunderbird
Now when you accept an email invitation, you should be able to toggle which calendar the event will be applied