The issue I have been working with is just to make sure the SMTP server is actually sending out information. You can test it by using Telnet (which is not installed by default)
- From the command prompt, type: telnet localhost:25
- type: EHLO and press enter
- type: AUTH LOGIN if you are using credentials and enter the appropriate information
- type: MAIL FROM:email@example.com (the mail address you are sending from)
- type: RCPT TO:firstname.lastname@example.org (the mail address you are sending to)
- type: DATA Enter the information you want to have in the body of the message.
- Press Enter and type a single period (.)